Equiom's US office offers the following services:
Equiom US (South Dakota)
In May 2017 Equiom acquired Virtus Trust, a multi-jurisdictional trust group which included a US trust company licensed in South Dakota, Virtus Trust USA, LLC. In April 2018 Virtus Trust USA, LLC changed its name to Equiom Trust (South Dakota), LLC.
Our US capability provides international families and advisers around the world with an invaluable option to address such legislation as FATCA and the US tax code in relation to cross-border planning.
Why choose the US and South Dakota?
- US issues often need a US domestic solution
- For non-US clients it is an attractive alternative planning jurisdiction
- Advanced and flexible state trust laws
- A locally and internationally independent judiciary
- Frequent updates to trust law to maintain market leadership
- The US offers every type of supporting financial service
Equiom Trust (South Dakota), LLC is regulated in Guernsey by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission and in South Dakota by the South Dakota Division of Banking.
Learn more about Equiom's Office Locations
Trust is something that is earned
We are proud to have an enviable reputation as leading professional trustees in the US formed from years of experience in the industry and are dedicated to maintaining the prosperity of our clients.
We understand the importance of protecting and enhancing the wealth of the individuals and companies we work with.
With more and more cross-border legislation such as FATCA and CRS, locating a trust in the US is becoming an increasingly attractive option.
We offer the ultimate secure jurisdiction combining a very flexible but defined fiscal framework, as well as a major body of established trust law and the legal and regulatory infrastructure necessary to administer complex international trust structures.
Equiom can organise the initial establishment of a trust or foundation and administer it carefully to maximise the benefits. We will also ensure its legal and tax status is maintained - and provide regular accounting and financial reporting.
Our trust services include:
- Domestication into US of foreign trusts
- Formation of family trusteeships/partnerships including US Dynasty and Directed trusts
- Looking after US persons involved in global financial services such as private equity and hedge funds
- Setting up of pour-over/decanting trusts for UNI/DNI from trusts administered by other trustees
- Formation of US domestic trusts to hold residential property around the world involving occupation by a US beneficiary
- Establishment of US domestic trusts to buy and hold US commercial real estate
To build a real estate portfolio you need solid foundations
Whatever aspect of your life is connected to the US, you need a solid foundation for growth - we have the specialist knowledge and technical expertise to meet your needs whether you are looking to acquire residential real estate for a family member or are seeking investment into US commercial real estate.
We bring to the table a deep and sector-relevant understanding of effective corporate governance for real estate investment. We do this in a direct way by providing our clients with a team of professional and highly experienced directors and trustees who have worked with industry-leading partners for many years.
With their exacting governance, our experts help deliver the key knowledge and insights only gained from decades serving the real estate industry.
Our real estate services include:
- Acquisition of residential real estate for occupation by US beneficiaries
- Formation of US domestic trusts to buy and hold US commercial real estate
- Professional administration of property portfolios
- Advice on funding solutions, planning consent, tax and VAT
- Structuring to meet your needs, whether you are a developer, a single investor or a pooled fund
Equiom’s pre and post immigration planning services
Immigration to the US is often complex and requires the establishment of a financial presence early on in the process. Our US public trustee licence in the state of South Dakota, coupled with years of experience in trust establishment and administration allows us to provide support in setting up a foundation for your assets in the US.
Whether it is establishing a South Dakota trust with a non-US trustee or forming a foreign trust for US beneficiaries, Equiom has the local knowledge and expertise to support you during each stage of your immigration journey.
Our pre and post immigration planning services include:
- Establishment of a South Dakota trust with a non-US co-trustee
- Appointing a successor trustee for foreign grantor trusts for the option of domestication into the USA